Helpline - 01322 619 898
It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 00:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Disclaimer:
The views and comments entered in this forum are personal and not necessarily those of Allergy UK. The information contained in this forum is not intended, and must not be taken to be, the provision or practice of medical advice or services nor a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have any questions or concerns about your health or treatment, contact your GP, doctor or other qualified health professional. Always see your GP or doctor or other qualified health professional before starting or changing any treatment. As the Forum is designed to be a support network rather than providing professional advice the posts may not be viewed daily by trained Allergy UK staff. Therefore, we would urge you to contact the Allergy UK Helpline 01322 619898 or the Allergy UK webchat if you have an urgent medical enquiry regarding your allergies, and one of our trained Allergy Advisors will be able to provide you with the appropriate advice.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2011, 23:03 

So i posted on this site ages back when i simply couldnt handle the allergic reaction i was having,...my face,...mainly my eyes were swollen pretty much all the time to the point i couldnt see,...it was a total nightmare,...my face just constantly looked like someone had thrown bleach at it :(

I'd tried cutting out every diff food possible thinking i was allergic to food,...but since had a patch test and found out im allergic to methylchloroisothiazolinone

So since then....its a miricle,..i have tried to research about this,...its a preserative found in cosmetics and many other products.

Iv had no symptoms since not wearing make up,...and only using Simples hair shampoo, conditioner & deoderant but i want to wear make up again and change my shampoo etc,...wondering if theres any one with more info on methylchloroisothiazolinone FREE products???
Any help would be fantastic :D Thanks.x

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 16:29 

Hello

There are a couple of companies that sell makeup free from all the nasties:

GreenPeople – www.greenpeople.co.uk 01403 740350

Natorigin – www.natorigin.co.uk 0845 838 6724

It would be worth contacting them to make sure they are methylchloroisothiazolinone free though

Hope this helps

Paula

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2011, 17:12 

Hello,

Can I first say... You are not the only one.
As the result of a patch test done in 2002 I discovered that I too am allergic to Methylchloroisothiazolinone/Methylisothiazolinone, after which I change all my products both household and cosmetic. I seemed to have the allergy under control until a year ago when It came back with force. I may have come into contact with it when I was out and about, but I had not realised myself to be so sensitive. It too effects me around the eyes and in severe attacks around the mouth also. My doctor proscribed me Hc45 Hydrocortisone cream which I have been using nearly everyday for the past 8 months just to keep the constant red, itchy patched around both my eyes at bay. I have been using the cream reluctantly as I have read about the irreversible damage it does to the skin. About 6 weeks ago I had a really bad reaction where my whole face swelled up, my doctor put me onto 180mg of anti-hystamine to be taken daily. This did reduce the swelling but made no change the the small blisters around my eyes and cheek or the constant itchy, prickly feeling. 3 weeks ago I had an even worse reaction and got referred back to the dermatologist. Along with the anti-hystamine I am taking 25mg Aterax at night and when it gets really bad I take Celestamine. My recovery is slow and very inconsistent that I am loosing hope for regaining normality. I am scared to go out for coffee or a meal as I am unsure of what products they have used to wash the crockery and napkins. I have resorted to carrying my own hand soap around with me and am constantly on high alert about anything I come into contact with. I fear meeting people in the street as I may come into contact with the chemical in something they have on their skin.

I would be most thankful for any advice on dealing with this allergy

Thank you

TFJ

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2012, 00:14 

Hi

I've been diagnosed with an allergy to something similar methydibromo glutanrile - probably not the correct spelling...its also found mainly in cosmetics but also shampoos and showergels, soaps etc - i'm yet to find suitable bath products as i have found most natural ones not helpful - i can use no.7 makeup from Boots as it is hypoallergenic - but please read all the ingredients as they always appears in some products that appear safe - Aveeno is the only moisturiser/lotion i can use -its brilliant. I find that i need to avoid most things that begin with methyl......
Interestingly enough i've just had a course of amoxycillin antibiotics which gave me serious stomach issues and found it contained methylparaben.
I've found after diagnosis, there is not much more support from the medical profession.

Ndam

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2012, 00:41 
Site Admin

Hi Steve,

We have a factsheet and a video on patch testing which may answer some of your questions

http://www.allergyuk.org/allergy_patchtest.aspx

This particular video shows someone exhibiting a a reaction to nickel.

David

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2012, 15:22 

I have been through the usual allergy tests and now patch testing and the result is ONE allergy and it is methylisothiazolinone.
I am having no success at finding products - facial moisturisers, eye creams, shampoos that are free of this preservative.
Has anyone had any success at finding products or any suggestions. Please please please!

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2012, 18:34 

Hi,

For products without methylisothiazolinone and methylchloroisothiazolinone you could try the following brands:

Weleda

Dr Hauschka

Lavera

The Organic Pharmacy

Neal's Yard (most probably fine but check each product for ingredients)

Aveda (same as above)

Hope this helps:-)

Therese

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2012, 12:43 

Hi there,
Thanks for the suggestions. I am trawling my way through brands now. Emailing them to double check and comparing prices and getting samples to try.

Weleda seems free - from most things but a little pricey . am trying currently Green People and Faith in Nature. For moisturisers and shampoos and soaps.

Have bought some Almay makeup as it is free from many things also including MCI/MI.

Erin

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2013, 01:01 

I am a female and 53 yrs old. Very active and rash free! I have had this allergy for a few years now (ever since menopause)Won't go into the horrors I suffered up to having the patch testing. Patch testing verified.
I use Cetafil on my body and face - I found a soap at a local store made with lemon grass and can use that too (but read ing. list first and didn't get it near my eyes until I knew it wouldn't bother me). I can use serious skin care mineral make up foundation, bronzer, and eye shadows (love it!) If anyone is interested in the exact name of the products I will post them.
Methylchloro... is in almost all liquid fabric softeners,so if you use it on your sheets it can make your face swell and body itch. It is not in most fabric sheets. I use free and clear and fragrance free as I seem to be sensitive to some fragrances. It is in many shampoos and conditioners, bottom wipes, sun screens, and a form of isothiazolinone is in yoga mats (I have to use a towel with a mat or my arms break out with rash and itch!) Here are some good sites to check out. Let me know if you need more info. I never had any skin issues until after menopause. - http://www.mypatchlink.com/pdf/mci.pdf http://contactallergy.com/contact_allergy_050.htm http://www.goodguide.com/ingredients/25 ... iazolinone

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2013, 17:50 

I just bought some Ecover laundry gel because it was cheaper than their washing powder, which has been the only one i've been able to use for years. when i got it home and took the top off, i was horrified by the smell which presented itself to me, reminiscent as it was of the cheapest nastiest washing powders know to man. the ones where you can "feel" the approach of someone who has washed their clothes in it 20 yds away in the street. upon examination of the label i discovered the only fragrance to be lemonene and citronellol, both of which are relatively natural (whatever that means). i'm usually ok with those although citronellol is borderline. however, more alarming was an enormous X with 'skin irritant ' underneath. methylchloroisothiazolinone and Benzisothiazolinone were disclosed on the ingredients list. wiki pedia told me that one of these was a 'known human immune toxicant'. as you can imagine i didn't bother googling the other one. this was obviously where the problem lay, and i took the product straight back to sainsbury's. I just cannot imagine what a supposedly GREEN company like ecover is doing putting this rubbish in their products. they've certainly got me thinking about switching brands if i can find an alternative. i tried "planet clean" which you'd think would be perfume free or at least naturally fragranced but it's not, and i found myself unable to use that. am currently looking for Surcare, (on above advice) but doesn't seem to be in any local tesco.