Helpline - 01322 619 898
It is currently 28 Feb 2017, 02:11

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Disclaimer:
The views and comments entered in this forum are personal and not necessarily those of Allergy UK. The information contained in this forum is not intended, and must not be taken to be, the provision or practice of medical advice or services nor a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have any questions or concerns about your health or treatment, contact your GP, doctor or other qualified health professional. Always see your GP or doctor or other qualified health professional before starting or changing any treatment. As the Forum is designed to be a support network rather than providing professional advice the posts may not be viewed daily by trained Allergy UK staff. Therefore, we would urge you to contact the Allergy UK Helpline 01322 619898 or the Allergy UK webchat if you have an urgent medical enquiry regarding your allergies, and one of our trained Allergy Advisors will be able to provide you with the appropriate advice.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2016, 03:01 

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I am desperate.
In April I started the Paleo diet because my doctor at the time told me i had leaky gut. I only ate fish chicken lots of vegetables and very little fruit. Mainly berries and apples. I ate sauerkraut drank bone broth and kombucha. No grains no dairy no gluten. Fast forward to July..i decided to add in eggs for breakfast. Within days i was sick with what felt like a sinus infection. Pressure all over my face..headache..i just felt sick. This went on for 2 straight months. I had chronic sinusitis and took three rounds of antibiotics not knowing what was causing my problems. When i finally figured it out and stopped eggs it took about 3 days for all of the pressure in my face/head to go away. No more sinus infections.
Something else...since i started this diet my vision has also continued to deteriorate. It's blurry. I even had to quit driving at night. I'm dizzy I'm spaced out and I'm exhausted. So i decided to add in some carbs as an experiment. Some oatmeal for breakfast..brown rice..some dried fruit. The following day i had a panic attack. I was tingly all day and felt like i was going to jump out of my skin. I am terrified now of eating anything different but i am so sick. I did not feel this way in April. My health is deteriorating and i am so depressed. And another thing is that my Vit A D B12 Magnesium Calcium and Total protein levels are all below range. My doctor just told me last week. He's concerned i am not absorbing my food. It's just one thing after another and i don't know what to do anymore. My doctor wants me to see an allergist or someone who specializes in nutrition. Next would be a gastroenterologist to see if i have a malabsorption issue. I cannot tolerate vitamins or supplements either. It's like i have a reaction to everything and it terrifies me.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. I'm scared something is seriously wrong with me.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2016, 11:24 

I randomly found your post browsing the forum after reading this post (https://www.allergyuk.org/food-intolera ... ntolerance).

If you suspect food intolerance is the cause of your trouble probably the most realiable method is an elimination diet. I now feel good and the foods I have made conscious decision to eliminate is long. I did this on my own, without doctors. I don't know if it was the best decision, but I feel great now - best ever.

The foods I eliminated before I got relief: Dairy, gluten, oats, eggs, all meat except fish, nightshades, all nuts except walnuts. I am 100 % sure about gluten and nightshades.

I eat the same stuff all the time now and I intend to keep it like that for a while before I am going to include other foods.

Breakfast: buckwheat porridge with raisins, walnuts and honey

Lunch and dinner: I combine different stuff in a large plate. Half of the plate is legume stuff - Mujaddara (lentils, brown rice, onions, garlic, cumin, salt, olive oil), Hummus (Chickpeas, garlic, lime juice, tahini - sesame paste, olive oil, salt), Beans (Any variety of beans, onion, carrots, olive oil, salt). The beans and chickpeas are soaked overnight (12 hours) and cooked for at least 90 minutes.

The rest of the plate:
- Canned fish, I eat about one can a day, mostly sardines and cod liver (the whole thing not just the oil), sometimes tuna or salmon, everything wild caught.
- Stir fried scallions.
- Spinach with mushrooms, garlic and onions.
- Oven baked vegetables (squash, beet, broccoli, brussel sprouts), 180°C, 30 minutes, salt, pepper, drizzled with olive oil
- Occasionally a whole avocado (I buy 4 every week)

I think this is a balanced and easy to prepare diet as most of the food can be prepared in bulk. It excludes the most common food intolerancies but there might be some problematic foods still. For example fish, legumes, garlic, sesame in tahini, probably anything. If you don't get relief on a diet like this after about 2 weeks, you should consider eliminating other foods or food groups. I probably know a fair bit about nutrition, but if you don't it might be a good idea to talk to a nutritionist to make sure you don't eliminate too much.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2016, 12:44 

Coming back to recommend you to read this immensely great article about the whole thing: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=faq&dbid=30

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2017, 22:17 

Thank you so much. I appreciate all the advice. I'm having a lot of trouble with dairy still. I even tried raw goat's milk and goat's cheese. I get a headache and I have pressure around my eyes. I saw my doctor again today and nothing has changed in 2 months. Everything is still low.
I'm not even absorbing the b12 shots. He's baffled. The longer this continues the more depressed i get. I cannot understand what is happening to my body. Why i am not absorbing nutrients.
Thank you again for your help. I guess I'm just a mystery...

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2017, 16:38 

afternoon,

this sounds exactly like me, i am currently on a paleo/elimination diet due to horrbile sore eyes.

today i have pressure all around my eyes and in my head...not sure what to do...

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2017, 16:49 

why did your doctor think you had leaky gut? what were your issues? are you in the uk?