Helpline - 01322 619 898
It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 18:25

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Disclaimer:
The views and comments entered in this forum are personal and not necessarily those of Allergy UK. The information contained in this forum is not intended, and must not be taken to be, the provision or practice of medical advice or services nor a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have any questions or concerns about your health or treatment, contact your GP, doctor or other qualified health professional. Always see your GP or doctor or other qualified health professional before starting or changing any treatment. As the Forum is designed to be a support network rather than providing professional advice the posts may not be viewed daily by trained Allergy UK staff. Therefore, we would urge you to contact the Allergy UK Helpline 01322 619898 or the Allergy UK webchat if you have an urgent medical enquiry regarding your allergies, and one of our trained Allergy Advisors will be able to provide you with the appropriate advice.

Post subject: spectacles
PostPosted: 03 Nov 2009, 17:27 

Hi
in august i had a new pair of spectacles,(plastic ones)which caused a allergic reaction behind my ears,the optician let me chose another frame which also did the same.
so they then coated the arms of the spectacles in sillicone,they were better but after a week a rash came again,also a rash started on my nose,its also now on one eyelid
they have refunded my money and will not sell me any more till its sorted out,
also my old plastic spectacles are now causing a rash.
two weeks ago i phoned my doctors they do a call back service,well i was told i could not see a doctor,it was up to the optician to find out what was in the spectacles.
and that they did not do allergy testing now unless it was a life threat
any way i get to see a doctor wednesday for another condition ,and of course i will bring this up and hope he understands,its making me miserable i have to wear spectacles all the while to see
wonder if any one reading the forums had the same allergy
georgie

Post subject: Re: spectacles
PostPosted: 03 Nov 2009, 22:33 

Hey I am having a problem with glasses too, although don't get rashes on my ears particularly. Having said that, the skin all down the side of my right ear was peeling very badly last week but not sure why! However I do get problems on my nose! I have had the pads changed twice, first to a softer pad and now to a softer and larger pad (look bit silly but don't care!) Normally it is just very red/sore/itchy but yesterday evening a 'lump' has developed which is really sore! What is frustrating is that I have chronically dry eyes, so can't wear contacts. I have only recently discovered that I am allergic to nickel, chromium and cobalt, so was wondering if any of these metals are in my glasses? However it is wear the rubber pads come into contact with my skin that the problems seem to be. And if you are having problems with plastic glasses too this wouldn't explain it!

Be really pushy when you see a doctor, this is the only way I ever get anywhere! And it is not true that they don't do allergy testing unless it is a life threat; I was told similar 3 years ago and accepted it, and have struggled on, but after persisting symptoms (and other health complications), I got patch testing at a different hospital (where I am at university) and discovered I am allergic to nickel, chromium, cobalt, and balsam of peru (perfume essentially). And none of it was life threatening, just horrible and persistent symptoms! So push, as I have been told that the reason you get told by NHS that they don't really do allergy tests anymore is because they are too expensive, which is not good enough!
Good luck :) Ewoody

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2009, 14:08 

Thanks for the reply ewoody
strange but i dont have a problem with the nose pads,its the nose bridge thats caused the rash,
you say your skin peeled behind one of your ears,just once this happened to me,
any way i will see what response i get from the doctor
i am in such a state about these glasses i turned up today,and my appointmant is next week lol
all the best with your glasses
georgie

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2009, 16:53 

The most common triggers with 'spectacle allergy' are the metals (nickel etc, as mentioned), latex or (more rarely) plastics such as acrylic. If the frames are coloured then the pigments can also be relevant.
The manufacturers will usually tell you the 'ingredients' if you write to them (the opticians are not usually much help in my experience). The correct allergy testing for this would be patch testing, which is usually done by dermatologists.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2009, 19:14 

Thanks i have been to the opticians today ,and they are going to try to find out whats in the glasses,
georgie

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2009, 21:15 

Sorry you're having such bother. I wonder if this post on the chemicalfree site may help you http://www.chemicalfree.co.uk/website/index.php?option=com_agora&task=topic&id=22&Itemid=132

You just never know.
Good luck.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2009, 17:01 

Many thanks for the link
i now have list of what my glasses were made of,the first pair frame was monel metal frame,and plastic cellulose acetate ear pieces,
second pair were stainless steel frames,the bridge was monel ear pieces cellulose acetate.
georgie

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2010, 21:44 

After trying more new pads on my metal glasses, and still having problems, my optician has ordered glass hypoallergenic nose pads - getting them this wknd so fingers crossed! Also have ordered a cheap pair of plastic framed glasses to wear the rest of the time! :D

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2010, 19:54 

hi ewoody
hope your new nose pads help you
i did get pushy at the doctors,and it worked i go for patch testing 18th of january,hope something gets sorted
fed up having sore ears and a rash on my nose,like you i thought of buying cheap plastic glasses but my lenses are so costly being varifoculs,and also have to pay for anti glare and to have one lens thinned out,
georgie

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2010, 14:03 

My sons optician recommended titanium frames for allergies,we didn't get them as he was only 2 at the time and we would of had to get them imported,but he would of outgrown them he hasn't had any trouble upto now but i would look into it if a problem arises.