Helpline - 01322 619 898
It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 18:40

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Disclaimer:
The views and comments entered in this forum are personal and not necessarily those of Allergy UK. The information contained in this forum is not intended, and must not be taken to be, the provision or practice of medical advice or services nor a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have any questions or concerns about your health or treatment, contact your GP, doctor or other qualified health professional. Always see your GP or doctor or other qualified health professional before starting or changing any treatment. As the Forum is designed to be a support network rather than providing professional advice the posts may not be viewed daily by trained Allergy UK staff. Therefore, we would urge you to contact the Allergy UK Helpline 01322 619898 or the Allergy UK webchat if you have an urgent medical enquiry regarding your allergies, and one of our trained Allergy Advisors will be able to provide you with the appropriate advice.

Post subject: Acne Rosacea
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2009, 21:22 

Hi

I have Acne Rosacea and wondered if there was any advice you can give me to minimise the spots that appear on my cheeks. I am cutting out all spicy food, hot drinks. I eat a healthy diet consisting of for example; breakfast: wheat free muesli/wheat free cereal, Lunch: wheatfree sandwiches for example (ham and coleslaw) or (cheese) and one main meal per day - that usually is either fish, meat, poultry with vegetables such as; kale, cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, sweet potatoes.

I just wondered if there was anything else I could do to improve the pustules. I am putting on my face an ointment called "Organic Ointment with Oregon Grape" and a sun protection cream of 15. I do also put foundation on my face to cover the spots. I think they have gone down considerably since cutting out the nightshade family and keeping an eye on my sugar intake. Ive been advised to have a low GI diet by a kinesiologist and this is fine. Do you think I could do anything else to improve my Rosacea?

I've read that taking the ammino acid Lysine has helped other Rosacea suffererers. Is this an effective remedy for Rosacea and has anyone tried it?

I would be grateful for any help.

Thanks

Tracey Blackmore

Post subject: Re: Acne Rosacea
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2010, 16:44 

Hi,

I'm not an expert but I do suffer from acne and have done since my teens but I must say that it got much, much worse after I had my kids. The doctor told me to avoid all dairy products and I did see an improvement. Plus she recommended zinc to aid the healing of the skin once I had had a breakout.

Sorry but that's about all I know. I'm reading sites like this now to help me too :) What are nightshade plants?

Do you keep a diary? It helps me, though I'm suffering from intolerances too, but I have noticed that grapes make me break out and so do satsumas. Diary definitely helps me :)

I also remember reading ages ago that foundation can be really good because, if like me, you have a pick at your face now and again, the idea that you have foundation on helps to stop this.

If you hear about anything, I'd lovel to know.

Vicki

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2010, 01:27 

Hi,
I have suffered with Rosacia for more than 15 years. A good dermatalogist is a must. I live in Florida where the heat and humidity can cause breakouts.

My doctor has me on Metrogel 1%. I use every morning after I cleanse my skin with an organic soap made from olive oil (I am allergic to coconut which is in all commercial soaps). After 5 -10 minutes I can put on my makeup. You only used once a day. There is an older Metrogel which is used twice a day.

We don't get cold very often here but I found in the past to stay away from turtleneck sweaters. It would cause a flare up on my neck. Hot baths and showers can also cause flare-ups.

I use to get a newsletter every quarter from the rosacia society. They have now gone web so you will have search and find them. Got a very good tip from them that really helped me and that was to do away with the washcloth. Wash your face with your fingers. I never had another break out once I got rid of the washclothes and it has been 10 years. Also wash your makeup brushes every week at least. I have 3 sets of brushes.

Another thing I got from the newsletter is that rosacia can spread to the eyes. I don't know how. At that time they didn't know either.

Watch you skin carefully. There is a relationship between rosacia and sensitive skin and with some allergies.

Napcast

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2010, 01:16 

You probably want to avoid cheese. Cut out wheat, dairy and sugar , tea and coffee and alcohol and increase the amount of green veg and salad you eat, take zinc, vitamin C, B complex (but don't take mega doses for long as this is actually quite seriously damaging over the long term) and acidophilus. I also believe that spirulina or chlorella are helpful. I think the acidophilus seems to be important.

I mostly wash my face in plain water, though I use Eve Lom cleanser a few times a week with warm, not hot, water (don't scrub face though and only use once a day). I have used olive oil rinsed off with a muslin cloth, the same as Eve Lom, with cool water for a few seconds afterwards with good results, though over time it felt a bit greasy. I moisturise with extra virgin olive oil or another plain oil, like almond or I find I'm ok with wheatgerm oil, though some people react.I also use chickweed ointment which takes down redness quickly- I used to use it for my eczma- though I checked the one I use and it has coconut in it if you're allergic. Both the Eve Lom and the chickweed have parabens in, but I find I generally react more to the natural products, probably because they have essential oils in: a Faith in Nature facewash brought my skin up three or four months ago and I haven't been able to get my good skin back since.

I've had rosacea tendencies kept in check by diet and Eve Lom for about 10 years, but they changed the formula of the Eve Lom cleanser for a while, put a granular exfoliant in which irritated my skin, so I tried a few new things, including this Faith in Nature facewash which seems to have really damaged me and now I look pretty bad. Hopefully I can get the skin back to normal over time They seem to have gone back to the smooth Eve Lom which has helped me.

I think the diet change, pro-biotics and using olive oil is the most important advice I can give though - I find olive oil really good to slather on if you've tried a product and had an allergic reaction from a product as well, seems to neutralise whatever the active ingredient is. You feel a bit like an oven ready chicken the first time you do it, but you get used to it. I think a lot of these things like allergic reactions, rosacea and eczma seem to be related to digestion problems rather than just being skin problems.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2010, 20:47 

Hello fellow acne rosacea sufferers.
I have suffered from this skin condition for 39 years, as my mother and grandmother have before me. After spending thousands of pounds on products from around the world I have now controlled (got rid of) my acne simply by using bottled spring water, instead of tap water to wash in. I occasionally use Topix replenix cleanser, but usually just the water - unheated straight from the bottle, don't dismiss this idea please give it a try. If Acne is really bad take Lymecycline -antibiotics one per day, but use bottled water too! good luck!! Ann :

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2010, 03:45 

You need to avoid saunas, steam baths and hot tubs. Also avoid facial steams... what else.. Keep your bath and shower water warm, but not hot. Use water as cool as you can tolerate it.In general, reducing trigger foods can be a rosacea free cure....

Regards!

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2010, 23:44 

Hi Tracey,

I just posted on another message that you put out about nightshade intolerance. I have just discovered I have this intolerance and like you, I also suffer from rosacea and have done for about 3 years. I'm pleased that your rosacea has improved since cutting out nightshades and hope I will see some improvement. I only started the diet yesterday though so have a long way to go I'm sure! I only just made the link between rosacea and this nightshade allergy so I'm pleased to see I'm not alone in this. Good luck with finding a remedy.

Becks :)

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2010, 15:16 

Hi I am new to this site also have acne rosacea and seborreic derm. I also have allergy but finding fragrance free, lanolin free, nickel free and these products must not have hypoallergenic on them has not been successful .So far the only cream for my skin that I have found is aquaeous, epaderm ,which are not really that good on my face as it still stings. I have tried cetaphil which ticked the boxes then I saw it had almond also tried cepaderm it did not help, at present still looking for makeup lipstick also washing powder non bio with no success so far. I look forward to hearing from anyone who has been down this road with any advice. I have had this since last year but the allergy test done only 5/6 weeks.

Coniston

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2010, 14:20 

Hi All
I hope you don't mind me dropping in, just reading some of the post out of interest on the site, I do not suffer with Acne Rosacea but other skin conditions, the products I do use I have seen on their website that it can help with this too. All their products are chemical free, so no parabens, steroids, lanolin, SLS etc. Please have a look at their site http://www.salcuraskincare.com. and hope it may be of some use.
Take care
x

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2011, 12:31 

Increase your omega 3 fatty acids by taking supplements such as Evening Primrose Oil, fish oils, etc… And by eating walnuts, hazelnuts, or pecan nuts (if you’re not allergic)
Ground Fennel seeds and Flax seeds, as well as Flax seed Oil supplements (omega 3’s) also act as anti-inflammatories. (reduce redness)
Omega 3’s aid in proper digestion and healthier skin.

Try increasing your intake of vitamin D through supplements (1000 – 4000 IU/day) and B-complex to aid in healthier skin and maintaining a healthier immune system.

Some people have had success using Turmeric orally or topically. (reduce redness and acne)

Drink more water and avoid all alcohol & caffeine products (coffee, tea, pop, etc..) Alcohol & caffeine will actually dehydrate your skin. Water re-hydrates from the inside out. As well, alcohol is generally a known trigger for most rosacea people.

You may want to try an alkaline diet.
Understand that certain things MAY increase flare-ups and visible symptoms for some people and not for others.

There is no "cure" for rosacea. Living with rosacea is about educating yourself, learning & understanding your own personal triggers, and adjusting your lifestyle accordingly.

It's up to you how much effort you want to put into caring for your health and your skin.
If you're interested, here are a few helpful, (and natural) hints for a better complexion for a lifetime:

- avoid touching your face throughout the day (dirt, oils, & bacteria from your hands can clog the pores)
- avoid any products with alcohol (internally or externally) Alcohol can actually burn & irritate sensitive or inflamed skin tissue.
- only use gentle, fragrance-free, oil-free, alcohol-free cleansers on your face
- avoid any scented soaps and creams (scents & fragrances can irritate sensitive or inflamed skin)
- have a daily facial cleansing routine (2x daily, morning & night. Do not scrub as this will irritate the skin) Cleanse after exercising to remove excess oils, dirt, & sweat.
- try a dairy milk face-soak during a flare-up (as long as you're not allergic) The dairy milk helps to balance the natural PH of the skin
- try using face lotion containing certified green algae or aloe vera gel (use lotions, not creams, as lotion is more gentle on the skin and absorbs more easily)
- when it comes to make-up and skin conditions, less is better, as your skin needs to breathe to heal.
- try using pure tea tree oil for pimples & blemishes. Apply with a q-tip to each individual pimple or blemish. (do not use on entire face as it can be drying to the skin)
- avoid extended periods in direct sun (use sunblock with 15 - 30 spf)
- drink pure green tea (matcha), rose hip tea, and fennel tea (great antioxidants)
- eat foods high in anti-oxidants; such as blueberries, cranberries, purple grapes, broccoli, etc..
- avoid spicy foods, greasy foods, and foods with a high refined-sugar content. (these foods disrupt the natural digestive processes of the body)
- find out what your own personal food "triggers" are and avoid them so you can avoid flare-ups of redness and acne. (many people find food with histamines aggravate the redness)
- avoid hot things. Hot showers & hot tubs, hot drinks (the heat will dilate blood vessels causing more redness)
- avoid extreme weather conditions (hot, cold, windy...) Extreme weather can easily damage sensitive skin.
- get at least 7 - 8 hours of sleep each night (aids in the healing processes of the body)
- try to cut down on stress (stress can magnify a multitude of conditions)

There are products you can buy that are specifically made to help reduce facial redness:
- There is a face cream called ROSACURE which is an anti-redness cream formulated for rosacea-prone skin types.
- Guinot has a face cream called RED LOGIC which claims to neutralize the appearance of red blood vessels.
- LaTherapie Paris has a fortifying skin cream that is supposed to help soften high colour (reduce redness)

I know there are other brands and products that may be similar. You need to find the one that works best with your skin and your body chemistry.