Helpline - 01322 619 898
It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 06:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Disclaimer:
The views and comments entered in this forum are personal and not necessarily those of Allergy UK. The information contained in this forum is not intended, and must not be taken to be, the provision or practice of medical advice or services nor a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have any questions or concerns about your health or treatment, contact your GP, doctor or other qualified health professional. Always see your GP or doctor or other qualified health professional before starting or changing any treatment. As the Forum is designed to be a support network rather than providing professional advice the posts may not be viewed daily by trained Allergy UK staff. Therefore, we would urge you to contact the Allergy UK Helpline 01322 619898 or the Allergy UK webchat if you have an urgent medical enquiry regarding your allergies, and one of our trained Allergy Advisors will be able to provide you with the appropriate advice.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: 10 Jan 2012, 12:14 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 10 Jan 2012, 12:09
Posts: 3
Hi everyone. I have been diagnosed with a dust mite allergy. My symptoms are not really usual - I do not have a runny nose, sore eyes or throat. I occasionally wheeze, but more importantly: I get a rash and hives at various places all over my body.

I and am in the process of steam cleaning carpets, covering bedding with allergy-safe covers and have hired a cleaner to help keep the house free of as much dust as possible (while not having to hoover and stir it up myself in case it triggers my symptoms).

My question is: Does anyone else have a rash from dust mite allergy? I haven't been able to find anyone else who does and I'd like to know

1) How do you deal with your symptoms?
2) How long can the rash last after the house is "allergen free" (or as close to this as possible)
3) What causes the rash exactly - nobody seems to be able to give me a straight answer - is it breathing in the dust, or my skin coming into contact with it? I can be sitting still, and have a flare up on my arm which isn't touching any surface, so I suspect it must be from breathing it in.

Many, many thanks for any help anyone can give!

James


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 24 Feb 2012, 21:27 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2012, 18:13
Posts: 9
Hi James

I have a 3 year old daughter with multiple allergies. Last September she developed a reocurring rash mainly on her face but occasionly also on her back and stomach. Following skin prick tests we were told it was due to a mould allergy. Like you we have been left a bit confused by this as most of the websites we have been on list mould allergy symptoms as sneezing, runny nose, watery etc. Which she doesn't have.

We are due to go back to the hospital soon so hopefully will be able to get some more information and support.

Mould and dust mite are both impossible to completely avoid. My daughter's rash can last anything upto 12 hours but then can flare up again the next day.

Hope you get some answers soon.

Take care.
Julie
xx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 24 Feb 2012, 23:19 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 10 Jan 2012, 12:09
Posts: 3
Thanks Julie.

Thankfully, mine isn't that bad. It tends to disappear within half an hour or so. I'm now pretty sure it's contact as well as breathing in. I did some testing by holding my forearm to carpeting, while being careful not to cause any friction (in case this was also causing the rash). Pretty soon I had some nasty looking welts come up.

I've noticed slight wheeziness lately too, but have invested in allergy-proof bed covers which will (hopefully) reduce this over time. Next step: remove the carpet and get wooden floors down, then look at replacing the sofa I can no longer sit on because I'm afraid of the rashes it'll cause.

I hate this, but there's no way I'm giving up. Best of luck to you and your daughter too, and thank you for the reply.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 22:34 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2012, 18:13
Posts: 9
Hi James

Thank you for your best wishes. My daughter has had a really good week.....only one reaction. so hoping things are looking up for her.

All 3 of my daughters suffer/or have suffered from allergies and it can at times really restrict life and be heart breaking to watch. Other peoples attitudes and lack of understanding can also be frustrating. We were once referred to as food freaks who constantly check food labels.

Its a real help talking to people who really understand what we are going through.

Take care.

Julie
xxxx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012, 13:01 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 09 Mar 2012, 12:27
Posts: 3
Hi - I was recently diagnosed with dust mite allergy (amongst several other things too). I have an auto-immune disease too called Sjogren's Syndrome, which means the moisture producing glands in the body dry up, so for years I put my dry eyes/rhinitis etc down to that and resigned myself to the fact that it wouldn't get better. However, after a massive "erruption" of what looked like allergic reactions one day a few weeks ago, my GP referred me for allergy testing. I was told at the first visit to get rid of my (treasured) feather pillow, as it could be down to the dust mite. So, after a ceremony when I got home, I threw it in the bin and bought an anti-allergic one. During the next few days something began to happen - the dreadful burning-hot areas of inflammation on my face and neck and the horrendous itching began to subside. After a week I no longer needed to use the steroid creams! When I got the results of my patch test, it confirmed I was allergic to: Balsm of Peru (aka fragrance); preservatives; citrus; E200 and E210, and something called benzoic acid (which is in everything, from shampoos to cosmetics to washing up liquids/bath foam etc, acting as an emulsifier I'm told) and, not forgetting, the good old dust mite. I don't know why, but my allergic reactions only seem to appear on my face/neck, which confuses me. But I do know that getting rid of that pillow has done wonders, so I'm now going through all the things that allergy sufferes do such as getting rid of old bedding etc and buying anti-allergy stuffs. I don't think its possible to avoid all of this stuff, so my GP has given me anti-histamine tablets and the steroid creams to use as and when I need them. I'm having a nightmare finding basic things such as a shampoo and moisturiser - having searched for 2 weeks I can't find anything that doesn't container some of these products, so I've resigned myself to the fact that I won't be able to avoid these things, but I might be able to manage them much better. I sincerely hope you have some success. Is your GP helpful? All the very best. Theresa Green


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012, 18:03 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 10 Jan 2012, 12:09
Posts: 3
Wow. I've bought anti-allergy covers, but haven't replaced the pillows yet. They're man-made fibres though, so probably not as bad as yours.

My GP is, to be honest, not interested. I had to beg for NHS blood testing to rule out my pet dog, and even then they haven't actually sent the results through (after months of waiting). In the end I paid for private allergy tests, and that showed up the dust mite allergy.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: