Helpline - 01322 619 898
It is currently 28 Feb 2017, 02:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

The views and comments entered in this forum are personal and not necessarily those of Allergy UK. The information contained in this forum is not intended, and must not be taken to be, the provision or practice of medical advice or services nor a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have any questions or concerns about your health or treatment, contact your GP, doctor or other qualified health professional. Always see your GP or doctor or other qualified health professional before starting or changing any treatment. As the Forum is designed to be a support network rather than providing professional advice the posts may not be viewed daily by trained Allergy UK staff. Therefore, we would urge you to contact the Allergy UK Helpline 01322 619898 or the Allergy UK webchat if you have an urgent medical enquiry regarding your allergies, and one of our trained Allergy Advisors will be able to provide you with the appropriate advice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: 04 Nov 2011, 15:15 
User avatar

Joined: 04 Nov 2011, 14:54
Posts: 1
Hi All,

Just wondering how many others out there may have experienced a serious allergic reaction to Cherry Carmex?

I am 28 and have never been allergic to anything, until last Sunday- I woke up with a very tight and sore face, which then quickly led to swelling of lips and surrounding area. As the day went on my face began to burn and itch, which moved to the neck too. By evening I had an angry red rash all over my body (arms, neck, trunk, legs), my neck was swelling and I was finding it difficult to swallow (felt like a lump in my throat)- also had very fast heart rate, was cold and sweating!

Anyway, legged it to A&E and I had IV drugs administered- after being kept in observation overnight I was given 4 days dose Prednisolone (Steroids) @ 40mg per day.

The only thing I can attribute this reaction to is a new Cherry Carmex I had recently started to use, that contains a sunfilter called Oxybenzone (linked to allergic reactions)- If anyone else had had a similar experience I'd be keen to hear as I'd like to know how widespread this problem might be! There is some controversy out there re. how safe Oxybenzone is to use.


PostPosted: 17 Nov 2011, 16:12 
User avatar

Joined: 06 Dec 2010, 14:28
Posts: 526

Thank you for your post.
I am sorry to hear of your reactions. Hopefully you have found the cause, & will now be elimination.
I think it would be a good idea to ask your GP for a referral to an allergy specialist who can do some patch testing with you, to find out exactly what could be causing the reaction.
Our helpline can give you details of your nearest NHS allergy clinic for your GP referral.
Our helpline is open Mon _ Fri 9am - 5pm or alternatively you could email your postcode to
We look forward to hearing from you.
All the best

Senior Helpline Advisor

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: