Helpline - 01322 619 898
It is currently 22 Dec 2014, 00:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Disclaimer:
The views and comments entered in this forum are personal and not necessarily those of Allergy UK. The information contained in this forum is not intended, and must not be taken to be, the provision or practice of medical advice or services nor a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have any questions or concerns about your health or treatment, contact your GP, doctor or other qualified health professional. Always see your GP or doctor or other qualified health professional before starting or changing any treatment. As the Forum is designed to be a support network rather than providing professional advice the posts may not be viewed daily by trained Allergy UK staff. Therefore, we would urge you to contact the Allergy UK Helpline 01322 619898 or the Allergy UK webchat if you have an urgent medical enquiry regarding your allergies, and one of our trained Allergy Advisors will be able to provide you with the appropriate advice.

PostPosted: 12 May 2010, 15:29 

Hi over the past week I have been suffering breathing problems, I do have allergies but do not have asthma. I have noticed that this happens when the rape seed oil (yellow flowers) is flowering which seems to be everywhere at the moment. Is anybody else suffering from this problem ?
Thanks
Elziabeth

PostPosted: 17 May 2010, 11:32 

Hi thomp1977,

Although you can be allergic to rape seed, is also very high in phenolics, these are chemicals that are given of from the plant and are highly irritant to the airways in some people. It may be this that is causing the problem for you, but of course you could be allergic to it in it's own right. If you find that antihistamines aren't helping it may be the chemicals that are affecting you.

Not a lot that you can do about if it is the chemicals it apart from trying to avoid it as much as possible, if it is affecting your eyes and making you sneeze and itch them you are more likly to be allergic to it, you could go on the Allergy UK website where you will find lots of tips for hayfever that will help you. www.allergyuk.org
Best wishes
Lindsey

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2011, 21:21 

I know that I'm once again posting in an older topic, but this time I'm helping a friend out. My friend Alyssa appears to have really bad outdoor allergies and rapeseed oil was one of the first search terms we thought of. While it's unknown as to whether or not Alyssa has a rapeseed allergy or not, her breathing (over the years) has been drastically altered by extreme weather changes and high pollen count. I'm thinking: "Why wouldn't rapeseed oil be a part of that mix?"

While we appreciate the advice you could provide, we were curious to know if there are ways to counter many of the annoying symptoms of hay fever? Alyssa doesn't want to consistently take an asthma pump as she'll probably develop an immunity to it. Are there any known steam remedies that could perhaps help open up her airways? What about going to a spot that's known for having plentiful amounts of clean oxygen? Ex: Lakes, Forests, etc. Welp, thanks for the help. Hopefully there's something she can do.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2011, 12:32 

Hi eveyIvey,

There as so many different things that you can be allergic to that can cause hayfever symptoms that without under going an allergy test it is difficulat to say what may be causing the problem for your friend. Airborn allergens appear at different times of the year and this can help indicate what you may be reacting to. Tree pollens are very early in the season around end of March throught to May, grass pollens are about from May through to July when weed pollens come into force, and then towards the end of the summer you can be affected by mould spores. If your symptoms on the other hand are all year round it it probably house dust mite, pet allergens or moulds that are causing the problem. If your friend can get her GP to refer her to an allergy clinic they would be able to carry out investigations to see what she might be allergic to. Rape seed often causes a problem for people, not because they are allrgic to it but because it gives off very strong chemicals called terpines which act as an irritant causing sore itchy eyes and breathing problems. Avoiding it is the only answer unfortunaltey.

There are lots of things you can do to help hayfever symptoms, if you go to our website you can see some very practicle tips that may help, alongside the more usual medications such as antihistamines. http://www.allergyuk.org/fs_rhinitis.aspx If your friend has been given an inhaler she should not really stop using it without speaking to her GP, she will not develop an immunity to it and regular use keeps symptoms in control.
Hope this helps
Lindsey

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2011, 19:04 

There is a simple skin prick test to rapeseed together with other grasses an weeds that can give you reply within 15 minutes what causes the reaction or specific IgE blood test - a bit more expensive although. Please reed information about allergy testing http://www.allergycliniclondon.co.uk/allergy-testing
Rapeseed has very narrow window of pollination from May till mid June, it starts at the same time as grasses and many weeds.
SO if symptoms continue in July it may well be due to something else.

PostPosted: 14 May 2014, 18:42 

Four weeks ago I started to cough and sneeze and took it be be a cold. Four weeks on and the Rape flowers are in full bloom and I am suffering respiratory problems with a lack of breath. I live in the country and this year have three large fields of Rape within a short distance (two on my doorstep).
Is there anything at all that will cover these symptoms.

Thanks

PostPosted: 23 May 2014, 12:45 

hello,

To avoid allergic response it is better to avoid triggers including certain food items. Watch your symptoms and be healthy.

best