Helpline - 01322 619 898
It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 04:08

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Disclaimer:
The views and comments entered in this forum are personal and not necessarily those of Allergy UK. The information contained in this forum is not intended, and must not be taken to be, the provision or practice of medical advice or services nor a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have any questions or concerns about your health or treatment, contact your GP, doctor or other qualified health professional. Always see your GP or doctor or other qualified health professional before starting or changing any treatment. As the Forum is designed to be a support network rather than providing professional advice the posts may not be viewed daily by trained Allergy UK staff. Therefore, we would urge you to contact the Allergy UK Helpline 01322 619898 or the Allergy UK webchat if you have an urgent medical enquiry regarding your allergies, and one of our trained Allergy Advisors will be able to provide you with the appropriate advice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 22:25 

Hi all just to let you all know within this thread that Allergy UK are going to be speaking to P&G shortly and will be posting back once they have a response , lots of the same are on the chemical sensitivity forum as well.
Regards Ian M

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 22:50 

That's great. Can you ask them why they make such strongly scented laundry products and why they take at least 5 washes to remove? Thanks.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 22:53 

Thanks for this update, Ian. One of the most frustrating aspects is that it's almost impossible to remove the fabric conditioner from clothes, and the chemical transfers by contact from clothing to other clothing, hangers etc. I didn't link my allergy to 'heavenly comfort' for many months, and now many items in my house are contaminated. I've also 'ruined' a number of cashmere sweaters that I hand washed during the summer months before storing, and now cannot remove the chemicals (as only repeated high temperature washes seem to have any effect). Could you please ask P&G what the offending chemical is, and is there any way to remove it? The problem is so frustrating, and seems to be affecting so many people, that P&G should be encouraged to put a warning on the bottle ( if only to say that the fragrance cannot be removed from clothing).

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 23:11 

I had curtains dry cleaned last summer due to their weight and bulk and the drycleaners I had used previously aired the cleaning very well so there were no residual fumes. Unfortunately when I collected the cleaning this time it smelled strongly of Fabreze. Despite the cleaners rinsing them and dry ing them again twice the smell was retained. I washed them again 5 times, drying them outside on the line each time. After all that they still smelled of the cleaners product. the cleaners told me due to European directives they now have to add 'fragrance' as they are no longer allowed to use chemicals they once did in the cleaning process, and it freshens the cleaning. I don't know if P&G make Febreze but it is another product which leaves very pungent residues that clings to fabrics and the skin!!!! (my curtains are ruined now too!)

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012, 00:32 

Please add me to the list of those experiencing the 'enhanced' Lenor unpleasantness.

I've been asked if I'm 'starting a cold,' after short exposure to an individual wearing clothes that turn out to have been washed in Lenor Infusions. In addition to nausea (swift) and headache (if I don't shift) from the sweet appalling aroma.

I can smell the scent upstairs, when the Lenored clothes are downstairs.

I've difficulties with fabric conditioners to begin with and try to avoid them whenever possible (near impossible), but the new Lenor is a doozie for woozy.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2012, 23:18 

As promised we have taken it up with Proctor and Gamble and we await their reply. The initial reaction was not too promising as they feel that the numbers of people complaining are small but our view is that not everyone registers the problems they are having and of course not everyone realises that there are triggers for symptoms they are suffering.

One of the Allergy UK trustees who has had problems with the product has had a telephone conversation with P&G as they wanted to speak directly with someone affected.

As soon as we have something from the company we will post it.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2012, 21:53 

I have to say I am quite relieved that there is information like this. I too have recently changed to Lenor Infusions fabric softner, what a mistake. I have a rash in patches all over my body, my skin is very itchy, my eyes are swollen, blood shot and very itchy and have felt unwell. I have visited the pharmacist to ask for advice as initially I thought I was suffering from conjunctivitis however after speaking to the pharmasict I realised the symptoms must be connected and started a few days after changing softner. Thanks for all the info on here, it has been very informative and am throwing out the Lenor and will never use again.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2012, 20:52 

I have just been searching the Internet to see if there were any links between Lenor Infusions softener and skin allergies......I have never suffered from any skin conditions nor do I have any allergies however since using this product I have an extensive rash around my neck and in other patches around my body and I also have been experiencing a persistent cough and cold. If this is having an effect on so many people something really needs to be done. Now I appear to have found the source I hope that I see an improvement to my general health and skin complaint :o

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2012, 13:12 

HI all i have stopped using fabric softner completely after months of illness i also now cannot tolerate plug in air fresher also sets everything off - i have also recently been diagnosed with sulphite allergy so busy getting my head round that. Thank to this site i was able to pinpoint breathlessness and wheezing (waking up at 4-5 am ) to the fabric softner - omitted and none of these symptoms since touch wood just plugins now to evade which is hard walked into gp surgery yesterday with father and pfft!!! overcome with terrible headache and sniffles within minutes!!! so still long way to go but fingers crossed on way to recovery... watch this space.... :?

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2012, 14:51 

Hi,
As promised we have contacted Proctor and Gamble regarding the fragrance in Lenor. Below is their response, unfortunatley we do not feel that this fully addresses the problem so we have asked for more clarification and are at present waiting for a reply.

Our Lenor products are thoroughly evaluated for safety ahead of introduction via a combination of raw material assessment for contact allergy and skin irritation potential, alongside finished product skin compatibility evaluation. This has confirmed the absence of skin irritation, that the risk of inducing contact allergy is negligible and the risk for elicitation is extremely low. Whilst many consumers prefer noticeable, longer lasting fragrance on washed fabrics, we recognise that others either prefer a more discrete fragrance, or are particularly sensitive to more noticeable perfumes in general. Here, we would recommend the more delicate fragrance offered by ‘Sensitive’ fabric conditioners, or un-fragranced fabric conditioners, respectively.

We will let you know as soon as we here from Proctor and Gamble again.

Best wishes
Lindsey

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next