Helpline - 01322 619 898
It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 08:23

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Disclaimer:
The views and comments entered in this forum are personal and not necessarily those of Allergy UK. The information contained in this forum is not intended, and must not be taken to be, the provision or practice of medical advice or services nor a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have any questions or concerns about your health or treatment, contact your GP, doctor or other qualified health professional. Always see your GP or doctor or other qualified health professional before starting or changing any treatment. As the Forum is designed to be a support network rather than providing professional advice the posts may not be viewed daily by trained Allergy UK staff. Therefore, we would urge you to contact the Allergy UK Helpline 01322 619898 or the Allergy UK webchat if you have an urgent medical enquiry regarding your allergies, and one of our trained Allergy Advisors will be able to provide you with the appropriate advice.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2011, 17:27 

I recently developed an allergy that caused some disturbing swelling that lasted around 2 days, I also experienced hives and reflux as reactions but not all at the same time. I was lucky enough to shortlist rapeseed oil very quickly as the allergen. I too bake my own bread now and make other foods that I would otherwise have bought as processed foods, especially those that contain vegetable oils, it seems that a lot of stuff has it! I discovered today that lipstick kicks it off too as it also contains vegetable oils, not sure if the wife is happy or sad about that :)

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2011, 17:59 

Does anyone else experience flu like symptoms from Rapeseed oil? I discovered this about 18 months ago, I am finding it more and more difficult to avoid, foods that used to be ok I now find contain Rapeseed oil. Although I cook most things from scratch I still get caught out from time to time and it takes weeks before I feel normal again. I was very interested to read that vegetable oil can contain it, I was hoping that was ok. Thanks for the tip.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2011, 06:27 

Hello,
Last night I worked out what had been causing our 4 year old son to have allergic reations - rape seed oil. His reaction is urticaria (nettle rash) hives and then going completely red, combined with vomiting and/or an upset stomach if it is a bad reaction. He's completely wiped out for about 24 hours.
It was incredibly difficult to track down as he first reacted to some bread, then a very plain supper, but where I had fried the meat in unrefined rape seed oil, next a homemade sponge cake bought form a village fete, followed by a fairy cake! It a relief that I have tracked it down, but I am now trying to work out when it is an issue as I think if the oil is refined it may be ok.I am also wondering if there are any other related products that I need to avoid?
I saw Leezy's posting which was helpful, but does anyone else have any experience of this?
Thanks

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2011, 10:56 

Hi All

I have spoken to a lovely gentleman today about reactions to Rapeseed in products & he asked if this could be put on the forum to help others.
He has done a lot of research into this & advises me that it is contained in the following:

Some Air fresheners
Bio Diesel - as used in tractors & some vans
Silverspoon sugar - rapeseed is used to prevent the sugar beet from clumping. Tate & Lyle are ok as this is cane sugar
Cadburys chocolate
Soreen malt Loaf
Plastic packaging
Illuminent in magazines - which makes the pages glossy.

He wanted to help others that may be allergic/intolerant to Rapeseed

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 23:24 

this so refreshing....I thought I was the only person in the world that suffered with rape seed oil allergy. It is a mightmare. I have to read absolutley all labels, as I am ill within 10-20 mins of eating the horrible stuff. Any help would be welcome

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2013, 11:05 

Hi,

I've been struggling with an allergy for over a year now and think I may have pinpointed it down to rapeseed . Can this be tested for, or are gp's likely to put it down as an intolerance? Symptoms are cold like, often followed by an ear infection. Already off dairy, but miss my cheese!

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2013, 12:49 

Hello smurf

Thank you for your post.

There is allergy testing available for rapeseed. This can either be by Skin Prick Test or by Specific blood test and would need to be done in an allergy clinic after a consultation with an allergy consultant.
True allergic reactions to Rape Seed are rare and may be more of an intolerance which cannot be tested for.
If you need details of your nearest NHS allergy clinic for GP referral, please call the helpline on 01322 619898 or by email to info@allergyuk.org.

All the best

Paula

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2013, 10:30 

Thanks,

Have Doctors in a bit so will ask while I'm there. Maybe I might get to the bottom of it one day!

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2013, 12:48 

Rapeseed oil was mostly used for industrial purpose since it is toxic to pets and humans. Such rapeseed oil contains very high levels of erucic acid, a compound with large amounts can be toxic to humans and other living person.canola oil is contains very low levels of erucic acid’.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2014, 08:42 

It has taken me 6 years to work out that it is rapeseed oil that is instrumental in my migraine attacks, within 12 hours of having anything with this oil in I will have a migraine. There are many foods on the supermarket shelves that have this oil in their ingredients ,I have found, biscuits, breads, ready meals, frozen meals, and then of course eating out!
This oil is called 'Canola oil' in the states and Canada (wherer it got it's name change), and there is a wealth of information about it on a fantasticlly informative and scientifically based website in the states called Weston price
http://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-fats/

Here you'll find an article 'The great Conola'
http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topi ... t-con-ola/

and you'll see that this oil used to be used to oil steam engines , and contains erucic acid, albeit this element has been reduced to 'acceptable levels' by a form of genetic manipulation and seed splitting.

anyway, it is definitely a problem for me, and I wonder if anyone else has this connection between Rapeseed oil and Migraine?