Helpline - 01322 619 898
It is currently 26 Oct 2014, 03:53

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Disclaimer:
The views and comments entered in this forum are personal and not necessarily those of Allergy UK. The information contained in this forum is not intended, and must not be taken to be, the provision or practice of medical advice or services nor a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have any questions or concerns about your health or treatment, contact your GP, doctor or other qualified health professional. Always see your GP or doctor or other qualified health professional before starting or changing any treatment. As the Forum is designed to be a support network rather than providing professional advice the posts may not be viewed daily by trained Allergy UK staff. Therefore, we would urge you to contact the Allergy UK Helpline 01322 619898 or the Allergy UK webchat if you have an urgent medical enquiry regarding your allergies, and one of our trained Allergy Advisors will be able to provide you with the appropriate advice.

Post subject: Rapeseed Oil Intolerance
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2010, 12:51 

Hi All,
I'm new to this forum and just wondering if anyone has the same issue as I have with Rapeseed Oil. For a long time I thought I had IBS but I have discovered I am intolerant to this oil... which is very widely used in food production and cooking!!! Even the smallest amount affects me.. and makes eating out very difficult to say the least.... any help / info would be great.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2010, 16:34 

The only thing that I can say is that if the ingredients list says "vegetable oil" it is probably rapeseed (more accurately canola) oil.

I wish that manufacturers would specify the actual oil that they use, but they don't and you need to approach them directly.

PostPosted: 16 May 2010, 12:23 

Ok, I have suffered from food intolerance for years. Rapeseed oil is a nightmare, my hay fever used to start as soon as the plants flowered and anything with the oil in makes me violently I'll within about 20min of eating it. It's cheap and now used in almost everything. You are quite right, eating out is a right pain as most people really don't understand why we have a problem, especially when you realise what questions you need to ask:

It is correct that most vegetable oil contains rapeseed. However, UK food labelling laws state that any oil listed as such must be refined, and as such most of the proteins in the oil have been removed. As it is the proteins that trigger the response then you will probably be ok with this - if you are like me anyway.

Anything listed on the ingredients as vegetable oils (subtle difference, you can see how it causes problems when asking in restaurants) will potentially (in other words almost definitely) have unrefined rapeseed in it and should be avoided like the plague!

Unfortunately a lot of stuff now has this in, including salad dressings, sauces (the powdered stock used in catering is the one most chefs don't check for you), breads (usually have a slightly soft rubbery texture almost like warm chewing gum if they have rapeseed in), pastry, breadcrumb toppings, coleslaw .... the list is endless. Rapeseed is a liquid oil so it is used as a substitute for more expensive cooking oils and so is often used to deep fry chips etc. It is also used in tandem with solid fats to soften up foods. It’s a very understanding chef that will accommodate us by frying separately in olive oil or sunflower oil, many chip shops are also starting to use oils containing rapeseed.

Only other thing of course is making sure you know the name of rapeseed if you go abroad as I don't know of any other county that calls it such. An Internet search for Canola oil (American) and the country you want will usually do it, but:

Brassica napus L. rape (Scientific Name); Huile de colza (French); Rapsöl (German); Aceite de col (Spanish)

I am also intolerant to yellow food colouring. I only mention this as I don't know if the two might be connected. I found out because egg yolks made me ill, many places have chicken feed with yellow food colouring in to make the yolks yellow!

Hope this helps, if there is anything else then please ask, I’m no expert but I know how miserable this problem can make you feel!

David.

PostPosted: 16 May 2010, 23:46 

David , thank you so much for your reply.. now i know I'm not on my own with this intolerance and your information is very much appreciated. If I consume even the slightest amount of rapeseed oil / canola within 10 to 20 min max I'm so ill... and it takes me between 1-2 days to recover.

Gillian

PostPosted: 17 May 2010, 22:15 

I'm sure there must be many more people like us - just have to think about all those with hay fever. Takes ages to figure out what's making you ill when it's food though. Also, all the celeb chefs seem to be promoting it now as a healthy oil to use, so I bet the situation just gets worse! We make all our own bread, dressings and coleslaw - must be better for us anyway!

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2010, 20:46 

Hi
Its taken me about a year to work out what was causing my problems (upset stomach,cramps etc) but have worked out that its Rapeseed Oil. Having looked around it seems that Sainsburys is one of the best stores for labelling their own brand goods.Most of their own brand goods tell you what type of veg oil is used unlike many big brands. Saves a lot of phone calls. Tesco were useless when I phoned them said they didn't know what oil was in my pasta sauce and it would take them a few days to get back to me.Still waiting a week later!
Would be great to hear of anyone elses experiences.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2010, 22:51 

Hi

i have a 3 year old daughter who suffers from something called cyclic vomiting syndrome, this is episodes of extreme nausea, recurrent vomiting and migraines. We have had lots of tests to rule out other causes- medically. We have done daily diaries for food intakes etc and had recently been brought to my attention through alternative therapies that rape seed could be a trigger to her episodes- which at worse occur weekly and last for 12-30hours where she cannot hold down ANY fluids or food.
I am completly unaware of food intolerances and whether they are immediate or, depending on the severity of the intolerance, that it could only occur if the product builds up to a certain level and then symptoms occur?
I have been racking my brain to find causes or triggers to my daughters illness, she has suffered since she was 16 months old, took ages for gp to acknowledge there is a problem more than a sicky child, we have paid to go private and see other professionals and i am now going alone to find out more information myself.
If youa re able to shed any light on whether this may be a possible cause and how to avoid her intake on rape seed so i can try to illiminate it from her diet for a certain period to see if makes a difference to the frequency of her episodes then i will be really grateful.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2010, 09:35 

Hi Vicki
The only advice I can give is check the labels.I now only have real butter, avoid any products which only say veg oil on the ingredients unless I have checked with the company thats makes them. I have yet to find many breads that don't contain rapeseed,french bread is normally ok and the co op do some breads that contain sunflower oil.The healthy/vegetarian options normally contain rapeseed so it seems best to stick to the all butter versions!
Hope this helps and your daughter gets better soon.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2010, 11:27 

thank you so much for your reply. I found some information saying that rape seed is fed to cattle, chickens and pigs.. does some meats affect you if they have been fed rape seed? Is this something that will be put on the packaging as well?

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2010, 16:35 

duck wrote:
The only advice I can give is check the labels.I now only have real butter, avoid any products which only say veg oil on the ingredients unless I have checked with the company thats makes them.

Hi duck!

I'd be careful about doing this. The reason that companies use vegetable oil on labels is to allow them to switch oils if they find something cheaper, so just because they're using something other than rapeseed/canola now, doesn't mean they won't switch to it in the future.

vicki wrote:
I found some information saying that rape seed is fed to cattle, chickens and pigs.. does some meats affect you if they have been fed rape seed?

Hi vicki!

I'd expect that what they are feeding to cattle is what's left of the seed after they've extracted the oil. Also, whatever the animal eats is digested by them, which means that it is broken down, so I'd expect that you are pretty safe.

vicki wrote:
Is this something that will be put on the packaging as well?

I can't see that happening. You would need to buy your meat where you can identify the source if you wanted to be able to check this.