Reply to mitzib on possible intolerance to Shitake mushroom.
I'm a 47 year old man, in good health, who suffers from moderate hayfever and allergies to perfumes.
I have had exactly the same symptoms as you have done, twice now...
My exact symptoms were... (after eating the vegetarian wok option in the works canteen)...
Within two hours, shaky, heart racing, rising nausea... - violent projectile vomiting... Felt like I was dying - sounds extreme but I felt very ill indeed. Works staff got me to hospital. 4 hours of blood, heart etc, tests, but could find nothing at all wrong. Slightly painful abdomen.
After about two hours following the vomiting, starting to feel normal again. Still tender, but after some sleep feel quite a lot better in the morning.
It has happened twice now, last time was yesterday, so I went back to the works canteen staff, to find out what was in the food, and it was the same recipe each time, just vegetables, normal oils (that I eat every day as I have the 'wok' option most days), but these two days... with shiitake mushrooms.... could it be these?
The thing is, I eat out at thai, indian etc (not too often chinese) restaurants quite a lot, and have not had this happen before, so it is a bit of a worry... but the finger does seem to be pointing at these shiitake mushrooms.
What did you do... did you get tests?.. go to the doctor or anything, and did they manage to confirm that you were allergic?
My next step is to buy some shiitake and make a soup out of them at home,... and see if it happens again. Not looking forward to that, but if there is a problem with me and these mushrooms, I don't know what to do if it happens again?... can anything be done if they are inadvertently eaten?
Any help or advice much appreciated.