Helpline - 01322 619 898
It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 17:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Disclaimer:
The views and comments entered in this forum are personal and not necessarily those of Allergy UK. The information contained in this forum is not intended, and must not be taken to be, the provision or practice of medical advice or services nor a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have any questions or concerns about your health or treatment, contact your GP, doctor or other qualified health professional. Always see your GP or doctor or other qualified health professional before starting or changing any treatment. As the Forum is designed to be a support network rather than providing professional advice the posts may not be viewed daily by trained Allergy UK staff. Therefore, we would urge you to contact the Allergy UK Helpline 01322 619898 or the Allergy UK webchat if you have an urgent medical enquiry regarding your allergies, and one of our trained Allergy Advisors will be able to provide you with the appropriate advice.

Post subject: Shitake Mushrooms
PostPosted: 18 Jun 2009, 23:47 

I'm not sure if this is an intolerance or an allergy, but this year I've eaten the mushrooms three times with increasingly severe symptoms each time. I'm not allergic to standard variety mushrooms (which I love and eat regularly) and it has come as something of a shock. I'm a 46 year old woman, in good health, who suffers from moderate hayfever and allergies to perfumes.

First time February '09 - restaurant meal. Mixed mushroom tartlet including shitake. Severe nausea and bloating, indigestion all night. Vomited the next morning (food undigested) and the symptoms went in about an hour. I put it down to too rich a meal and thought nothing more of it.

Second time April '09 - wedding meal, vegetarian option also eaten by many guests who were perfectly well. Mixed mushroom tureen including shitake. I was a designated driver so had drunk no alcohol. Within two hours, shaky, heart racing, rising nausea. Just made it back to my hotel bedroom - violent projectile vomiting in bouts over an hour long period. Felt like I was dying - sounds extreme but I was so ill. Tried sipping water which all came back up in the same violent manner. Painful abdomen. Finally slept and felt tender but quite a lot better in the morning. Put it down to perhaps a bug, but was beginning to wonder about the mushrooms...

Third time yesterday - spicy noodle and tofu soup in Wagamamas, again the same meal as several others in my party, so not food poisoning (and I am a big fan of spicy eastern cuisine). Noticed the mushrooms and checked the menu again- hadn't noticed the ingredient when I ordered! I still wasn't convinced that the shitake mushrooms had been responsible in April, so I just wondered...Then about an hour and a half later I just made it to St. Pancras station toilets where the violent vomiting began again. Heart racing, feeling very panicy. Once on the train, I developed severe diarrhoea and vomiting at the same time - fortunately, as First Aider, I had 'sick bags' with me! Bouts of vomiting lasted 3 more hours and I still had diarrhoea this morning. I've had to take the day off work - still shaky, tummy bloated and sore but now re-hydrated.

Does anyone know of anyone else who suffers with this? Can I get an allergy test? If so, how? Should I see my doctor?

I'd be grateful for any advice!

Post subject: Re: Shitake Mushrooms
PostPosted: 19 Jun 2009, 12:19 

Hi MitzieB,

Welcome to the Allergy UK forums.

I am sorry to hear of your symptoms. It does seem that you need more tailored advice, I would recommend that you contact one of our trained helpline advisors about your symptoms.

You can contact them either by e-mail at info@allergyuk.org or by giving them a call on our helpline number 01322 619898.Where they will be able to advise you on your next step.

Many thanks
Dawn

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2009, 02:04 

This is a total surprise to me. I've experienced almost the exact same thing in the last 2 weeks or so.

1st time (about 10 days ago) - Shitake mushroom fried rice. Distended, bloated stomach with severe nausea and vomiting. Thought I had the flu. Was up most of the night. Thought I would end up in the hospital.
2nd time (yesterday) - Shitake mushroom and salmon. Fairly mild symptoms like those above, and my husband said I looked pale. I was a little concerned that I was going to have a repeat of the other night. Must admit, still didn't make connection with the mushrooms, which I have eaten many times in the past.
3rd time - Same batch of shitake mushrooms with shrimp. Now, I feel horrible...distended stomach, severe bloating, vomiting and gas. Very uncomfortable. Expect to have a fitful sleep.

Each time I wake up the next day a little shaken and very tired but much better. I presume this will happen again tomorrow.

This is a little disconcerting. What's it all about?

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2009, 13:49 

There have been a number of reports of people suffering 'allergic' reactions to Shiitake mushrooms when they can eat other types without problems. An extract from Shiitake mushrooms has also been used in trials to treat prostate cancer, and it was found that some people got reactions from this. Research showed that taking this extract regularly caused gut symptoms and changes in blood cell counts which are similar to those occuring in inflammation and allergy. So it appears that there might be some sort of chemical substance in these mushrooms which is not present in other mushrooms, and which might cause some sort of inflammation when eaten repeatedly.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2009, 16:20 

I have been using Aveeno Firming body lotion, which contains shittake mushroom extract.
I have broken out with very itchy red bumps on my legs and arms - nowhere else. So it can't be an allergic reaction to food, or hives as a result of some weed. I have narrowed it down to the lotion. I don't remember getting sick from eating shittake mushrooms, but now I will keep better track.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2009, 02:16 

Reply to mitzib on possible intolerance to Shitake mushroom. had the same experience, however could not reject (vomit) the food. many hour of abdominal pain and intestinal pain with diarrhea. much perspiring and panic at times. those symptoms definitely linked to the ingestion of Shitake mushrooms in 4 specific instances, first in small amount, second in large amount (ie as an ingredient in a soup followed by a rice with shitake) third as a trial of one half fried shitake in a portion of rice and the last event was mistakenly used for strirring my condiment of a wooden spoon that had stirred shitake. Each event had a 3 hour minimum of pain.
Last year, a similar event happen which brought me to the hospital when i injested chanterelle mushrooms that were previously frozen.

Wondering if anyone knows anything about this intolerance.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2009, 09:33 

Reply to mitzib on possible intolerance to Shitake mushroom.

Hi Mitzib,
I'm a 47 year old man, in good health, who suffers from moderate hayfever and allergies to perfumes.
I have had exactly the same symptoms as you have done, twice now...
My exact symptoms were... (after eating the vegetarian wok option in the works canteen)...

Within two hours, shaky, heart racing, rising nausea... - violent projectile vomiting... Felt like I was dying - sounds extreme but I felt very ill indeed. Works staff got me to hospital. 4 hours of blood, heart etc, tests, but could find nothing at all wrong. Slightly painful abdomen.

After about two hours following the vomiting, starting to feel normal again. Still tender, but after some sleep feel quite a lot better in the morning.

It has happened twice now, last time was yesterday, so I went back to the works canteen staff, to find out what was in the food, and it was the same recipe each time, just vegetables, normal oils (that I eat every day as I have the 'wok' option most days), but these two days... with shiitake mushrooms.... could it be these?

The thing is, I eat out at thai, indian etc (not too often chinese) restaurants quite a lot, and have not had this happen before, so it is a bit of a worry... but the finger does seem to be pointing at these shiitake mushrooms.

What did you do... did you get tests?.. go to the doctor or anything, and did they manage to confirm that you were allergic?
My next step is to buy some shiitake and make a soup out of them at home,... and see if it happens again. Not looking forward to that, but if there is a problem with me and these mushrooms, I don't know what to do if it happens again?... can anything be done if they are inadvertently eaten?
Any help or advice much appreciated.
Gareth

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2009, 23:07 

RE: Shiitake mushrooms in Aveeno products

Like you, ljv, I used Aveeno's Active Naturals Positively Ageless Daily Exfoliating Cleanser for the first time just two days ago. My eyes are so red and itchy I want to scratch them out and my nose and throat feel funky. I did take some Claritin and that helped stop the release of histamines.

I am allergic to portobello mushrooms, which I avoid like the plague, but love and can tolerate simple, white button mushrooms. Had NO IDEA whatsoever about shiitake mushroom allergens until I used the Aveeno product. I have never eaten them and based on what a portobello did to me once and what the shiitake did to me topically, I think I'll avoid them altogether.

It does say on the front of the bottle, "with natural shiitake complex," so users beware if you have severe reactions to shiitake ingestion; you may have severe reactions to topical use, too!

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2009, 17:21 

I'm a 29 year old male. I first noticed that I might have an allergy to shiitake mushrooms about a year and a half ago while I was in Prague. I was eating dinner at this Cuban restaurant when I noticed some tingling on the lips. I took a second look at all the ingredients and nothing caught my suspicion. There was shiitake mushroom in the mixed vegetables that came with the fish. I've lived in Japan and traveled extensively throughout Asia, and in the past had eaten Shiitake mushrooms without a problem.

After dinner I went back to my hotel with serious, painful bloating and heartburn. I laid down in bed for a while just trying to find a comfortable position where I could fall asleep. I did manage to doze off for a bit but when I woke up I had to make a dash for the bathroom. I had diarrhea for the next hour, then vomiting for the hour after that. Lots of undigested food came up. After I'd gotten it all out I felt immediately better, but worn out. I drank lots of water, went back to sleep and was fine the next day.

The next time I encountered shiitake was back in California at a Japanese restaurant. I'd just had a bite of a friend's vegetarian grilled mixed mushroom dish. I felt the tingly lips again and knew I was in trouble. Thankfully it was only a tiny bit of it. I got off with just the diarrhea that time. No vomiting. Now I was suspecting the shiitake mushrooms.

The last time was just a few days ago. I went to a raw food restaurant with a friend and shiitake mushrooms were in one of the dishes. This time I nibbled a little bit on one of the shiitake mushrooms, rubbed it around on my lips, and sure enough, started to feel a little tingle. I did eat three other kinds of mushrooms at that place and didn't have any problems. Case closed.

So, it appears to be some sort of allergy specific to shiitake. I haven't seen a doctor about it but I'll be sure to mention it next time I'm in there. I don't know whether shiitake broth is enough to trigger the allergy but so far I haven't had any problems with soups or broths or anything outside of the whole mushroom itself.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2009, 22:13 

I have similar reactions to "normal" mushrooms - dreadful stomach cramps, face goes green & clammy, heart races & feels like I might die, followed by horrendous diarrhoea - but I ate out at an upmarket Chinese restaurant & had scallops - it didn't say that they were on a bed of Chinese mushrooms (may have been Shiitake - this was several years ago before they were common in UK) -had the weirdest reaction ... room started spinning, and then I started hallucinating!!!!! Had to barge my way out of the posh restaurant and sit on the pavement hyper ventilating!!!! V embarrassing!!

I know take extra care in restaurants!!