Helpline - 01322 619 898
It is currently 26 Oct 2014, 07:56

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Disclaimer:
The views and comments entered in this forum are personal and not necessarily those of Allergy UK. The information contained in this forum is not intended, and must not be taken to be, the provision or practice of medical advice or services nor a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have any questions or concerns about your health or treatment, contact your GP, doctor or other qualified health professional. Always see your GP or doctor or other qualified health professional before starting or changing any treatment. As the Forum is designed to be a support network rather than providing professional advice the posts may not be viewed daily by trained Allergy UK staff. Therefore, we would urge you to contact the Allergy UK Helpline 01322 619898 or the Allergy UK webchat if you have an urgent medical enquiry regarding your allergies, and one of our trained Allergy Advisors will be able to provide you with the appropriate advice.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 37  Next
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2010, 14:10 

That's really interesting!

Last edited by pineapplegirl on 06 Mar 2010, 23:56, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2010, 14:13 

Last edited by pineapplegirl on 06 Mar 2010, 23:56, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2010, 14:25 

Hi Helena

Since I have been on a low histimine diet I have not being away from home for long so I appreciate how difficult it is for you.
All fish and cured meat eg ham are not allowed on the low histimine diet. If you are allowed it you could have porriage oats and fruit for breakfast which is very filling. For lunch you could have natural cottage cheese with yeast free bread or rice cakes. Honey is allowed so if you wanted something sweet you could have that on toast. Jacket potatoes are handy for lunch and also sweet potatoes which don't take as much time to bake. I disliked tham at first but love them now. I miss crisps but now snack on nuts and popcorn. Hilary mentioned egg whites and histimine. I have read that uncooked egg white is high in histimine but once cooked it is ok, I have no problems with eggs but we would have to avoid things like mayo. Hope that helps.

Hillary I will try the rye bread I am very wary of trying anything new but it helps to know what others with the same condition are eating. I have been making a flat bread with spelt flour which is fine but you can't toast it. I am about to make a soda bread again with spelt but with water instead of buttermilk, I will let you know how I get on. I was reading what you and Genny wrote about the blood test for Dao. This is strange but if I eat high histimine food I will have a reaction within 10 minutes but if I drink wine there is no reaction until the next day with symptoms like a runny nose, sneezing, or a buzzing ear. So perhaps before I go for a blood test I should drink some wine to keep my histimines high. Every cloud has a silver lineing.

Lisa

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2010, 14:56 

Cherry wrote:
Hi Helena

Since I have been on a low histimine diet I have not being away from home for long so I appreciate how difficult it is for you.
All fish and cured meat eg ham are not allowed on the low histimine diet. If you are allowed it you could have porriage oats and fruit for breakfast which is very filling. For lunch you could have natural cottage cheese with yeast free bread or rice cakes. Honey is allowed so if you wanted something sweet you could have that on toast. Jacket potatoes are handy for lunch and also sweet potatoes which don't take as much time to bake. I disliked tham at first but love them now. I miss crisps but now snack on nuts and popcorn. Hilary mentioned egg whites and histimine. I have read that uncooked egg white is high in histimine but once cooked it is ok, I have no problems with eggs but we would have to avoid things like mayo. Hope that helps.

Hillary I will try the rye bread I am very wary of trying anything new but it helps to know what others with the same condition are eating. I have been making a flat bread with spelt flour which is fine but you can't toast it. I am about to make a soda bread again with spelt but with water instead of buttermilk, I will let you know how I get on. I was reading what you and Genny wrote about the blood test for Dao. This is strange but if I eat high histimine food I will have a reaction within 10 minutes but if I drink wine there is no reaction until the next day with symptoms like a runny nose, sneezing, or a buzzing ear. So perhaps before I go for a blood test I should drink some wine to keep my histimines high. Every cloud has a silver lineing.

Lisa

Hi Cherry,

I've you have the time, check out some recipes for raw crackers. They can be made with flaxmeal and corn for tortilla chips/crackers. Re missing chips, I dehydrate thin strips of potatoes (you can marinate them first to give them some flavour) and then eat them as stringy crisps. In all, I would recommend that everyone check out raw recipes as they will have some inventive snacks. Thyey have lots of ingredients that are not allowed but you can modify the recipes.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2010, 17:17 

Hey, there's so much useful info in this thread :D

Thanks Hilary - You know heaps and I can tell you're a research-geek like me ;) I'll check out the references you mention 'cos I really want to know more about all this. For instance, I think I might act as if histamine is the only problematic amine for me for now, to give myself more food options, and see how that works. I'm taking about 650mg magnesium at the moment, so hopefully any deficiency will be resolved soon.

Lisa, Thank you so much for you menu suggestions. Unfortunately, I am intolerant to gluten and dairy and have candida and blood sugar balance problems, so that limits a lot more foods :( I'm still experimenting but butter and oats might be ok. Tolerated foods seem to vary so much for each of us. I am very glad to hear that the diet has helped you, it is very encouraging.

Pineapple - I do find candida a problem too but the anti-candida diet I've been on for the last 4 months is almost all high-histamine foods, so I'm floundering to know what to eat now. I take an anti-fungal and probiotic every day.

I think that, if I cook and eat breakfast and dinner at home, then a lunch that includes a high-histamine food like tinned fish or deli meat might be the best I can manage at the moment, and it has to be better than eating high-histamine foods at every meal, as I had been doing. I do want to feel better though. Does anyone know of any 'portable' protein foods that would make a good lunch? How do nuts and seeds effect others? Sunflower seeds seem to have a greater effect on me than tinned fish (I judge it by my post-meal facial flushing).

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2010, 18:03 

Hi again,
I can't eat sunflower seeds or any seeds like pumpkin, quinoa, millet. I used to eat rice and oats but not any more.
Portable food is quite difficult for me. I eat rye bread turkey sandwiches most of the time!
I don't tolerate oils either. HIT is such an unhealthy condition!

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2010, 19:26 

pineapplegirl wrote:
hilaryj wrote:
pineapplegirl wrote:
Weird I think my message didn't post. Could I just ask if anyone has any candida issues? I've noticed it happening when I become insanely allergic to everything. Actually been keeping track in my food diary. I read that there is some connection but was curious if anyone has noticed?

Hi again,
I've had candida problems in the past. Candida is a yeast and yeast causes histamine problems? I'm intolerant to yeast.

That's really interesting, that explains why I can't eat even gluten free bread...I hadn't read that about the yeast (or maybe dismissed it as not applying to me). I did notice that my all over allergy load would increase when I had it (to the point of reacting to each and every food) and it resolved around the time I treated it. I'm pretty much on a candida diet anyway since I can't have fruit nowadays and I've never eaten sugar (with the exception of a few teaspoons of agave a month). I've just treated it now, will see if I can eat again soon. Also, my tinnitus is tmj related. I read that you can test if it's tmj by pressing hard on your forehead or jaw with the palm of your hand or clenching your teeth. If it gets louder or the sound changes pitch it's caused by tmj. It happens because of the tension in my body when I get the histamine overload. Dentist told me I grind my teeth quite severely. Been keeping track of that in the food diary too...

Hi there,
I found these bits of information which you might find interesting....
"Magnesium is needed to reduce histamine levels.
Low stomach acid levels reduce levels of beneficial intestinal bacteria which is needed for absorption of magnesium.
Rats with magnesium deficiencies have increased histamine levels.
Mag deficiency has been implicated in allergies and allergic skin reactions.
People with chemical sensitivities can also have other conditions linked to Mag deficiencies such as allergies.
They also tend to have temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ), which has been linked to abnormalities of hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid is dependent upon magnesium for its synthesis".

Good old Mag!

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2010, 01:41 

Lol, very good, you're awesome! I assume this all began because of unhealthy eating habits so now I'll try a healthy diet and see if my body rejects it again.

Last edited by pineapplegirl on 06 Mar 2010, 23:57, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2010, 10:40 

Hi Pineapplegirl,
A few more bits and bobs!
i've just started reading:
'Transdermal Magnesium Therapy' 2007 by Mark Sircus, "illustrates the importance of magnesium in human health, why we are not getting what we need, and how to take matters safely and naturally, into our own hands. It carries with it the hope to have a positive effect on the health of millions. In just under 400 pages, the author paints a very broad picture on just why we can no longer afford to overlook magnesium, why we're not getting enough of it from our foods, and the costs that we are paying far too often and needlessly, in our health and well-being".
He quotes Dr Carloyn Dean and many other magnesium experts/studies. He advocates magnesium chloride oil as it acts faster than supplements and is highly absorbable. I've started oil therapy! www.ancient-minerals.com
It can take months on supplements to replenish mag in the cells but only weeks with oil. Watch this space! I'm very excited!
Also read this snippet:
“one of the primary sources of dietary magnesium is whole grains and cereals. If one goes 100% gluten free, you may be losing a main source of magnesium, and could go deficient especially if you are also supplementing with extra calcium to make up for the casein free part”
Good luck with your raw food diet, your magnesium should shoot up!
Best wishes,
Hilary

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2010, 16:11 

Hi Hilary

Very interesting to read about magnesium I will definitely start taking it. Do you recommend any particular brand, I notice some have calcium and zinc included.

Best Wishes

Lisa

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 37  Next