Helpline - 01322 619 898
It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 23:58

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Disclaimer:
The views and comments entered in this forum are personal and not necessarily those of Allergy UK. The information contained in this forum is not intended, and must not be taken to be, the provision or practice of medical advice or services nor a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have any questions or concerns about your health or treatment, contact your GP, doctor or other qualified health professional. Always see your GP or doctor or other qualified health professional before starting or changing any treatment. As the Forum is designed to be a support network rather than providing professional advice the posts may not be viewed daily by trained Allergy UK staff. Therefore, we would urge you to contact the Allergy UK Helpline 01322 619898 or the Allergy UK webchat if you have an urgent medical enquiry regarding your allergies, and one of our trained Allergy Advisors will be able to provide you with the appropriate advice.

Post subject: Low Histamine Cookbook
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2010, 16:53 

Hi everyone,

My friend has just published the first (to my knowledge!) low histamine and biogenic amine cookbook. There's holiday recipes, breakfast and a ton of stuff. I don't know what the policy here is re this stuff, so apologies if this violates anything, but many of you know me here - I'm not here to sell!

From the book:
"The Red Wine Headache Cookbook includes 300 alternative recipe ideas for favourite meals including: Thai Green Curry, Pizzas, Lasagnes, Sausage & Mash, Burgers and Pies – plus ideas for breakfast, lunches, drinks and snacks, and also for special occasions such as barbeques, Thanksgiving and Christmas."

Here's her website
http://www.lowhistaminerecipes.com/

The blog with a Christmas recipe:
http://redwineheadachecookbook.tumblr.com/

The FB page:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Red-W ... 6086281015

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2011, 19:28 

I bought it, Pineapplegirl, on your recommendation and it is gr8. Thanks! When it says not to eat leftovers, is that just meat or say if I baked the cookies or a cake can they be eaten the next day? Cheers

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2011, 19:42 

On my recommendation :) that's so sweet! I'm so glad you liked it.

Obviously I'm not a doctor.. but I don't eat any leftovers. I cook as much as I need and eat the same day. Now...that's not to say I don't get a little sneaky at times and stray from what's good for me... She did mention on the FB page the other day "thank god for frozen foods" so I'm thinking you might be able to freeze cooked food but I have no idea with regard to baked goods.

You can contact her through the FB group and I she seems to have a lot of HIT people as friends (including moi!) so I'm sure she wouldn't mind a friend request or a message. I'll ask her though and post back because I'm curious too now!

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2011, 20:43 

Oh thanx Pineapplegirl, have been lurking here and thru here visited your blog a few times, and seen DB , hallelujah, but just can't bring myself to do Facebook AM 2 OLD and dont want t be faced up to my own lack of friends (: and there is no 'contact' facility on the lowhistaminerecipe website. Only other feedback wd be to test the gray type on older people kinda hard to see, or is it me, but as a mom of very thin histaminechild it has revolutionised my packedlunch efforts ...if only I could do some of it the night before ...

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2011, 20:54 

lol well you made it this far ok :) I just sent her a message asking for you. Will let you know as soon as I hear.

I think my blog confuses people. It's just such a mishmash. Meat, vegan, raw, cooked, low fat, high fat, personal experience, etc. It's all over the place! But it's my therapy :) glad you're doing better!

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2011, 10:55 

Hi Arnold,

Ella replied to my message:

"Thanks so much for passing on the post from the forum. Its great that the book is receiving such positive feedback!

Regarding eating leftovers, like you, personally I don't eat any leftovers that have been stored at room temperature - however, I do have such serious symptoms that I prefer not to take a chance. Other people may have less severe symptoms that mean that they are more comfortable to try to eat something the next day and see if it works for them. However, I wouldn't advise eating such leftovers on a regular basis even if a person felt well.

In the book, following X's advice, I explain not to freeze and then defrost meat and other animal products as the histamine levels increase dramatically on thawing. As I understand, this isn't the case when defrosting other foods. I certainly haven't ever had a problem myself in doing so.

What I do at home is to cook a large meat-free meal, serve the amount needed freshly made and then divide the remainder into individual portions and freeze. This works particularly well for the vast majority of meals in the book - I even used it for an apple crumble and mince pies over Xmas and they were equally delicious when reheated. It makes life a little easier on those days when you just don't have the time to cook meals from scratch.

I also advise on some applicable recipes different storage methods, such as on the biscuit creams recipe to - 'Store in an airtight container, also in the fridge if possible, and eat within a day or two. Remember that these biscuits do not contain preservatives!'. If people are comfortable to, they could also try this themselves for other baked goods. Alternatively, for the cookies perhaps prepare the cookie dough and freeze it in portions raw on the baking sheet and then cook these in a slightly cooler oven for a little longer on the day as needed.

Looking at the forum I also saw feedback on the grey font used in the recipe method. This feedback is duly noted and has in fact already been darkened slightly for the next print run. Unfortunately, there was a slight difference between the printers proof and the actual print - so in the future, this shouldn't be a problem. We're also working on updating the website in January, and will hopefully incorporate a comments section for people to get involved. I already have several case studies lined up for the next 'Living With HIT' book - and it would be great if anyone else would like to offer to share their experiences!"

Hope that helps Arnold! I'm definitely interested to try freezing the cookie dough. More so because I would freeze it into an ice cream recipe (like ben and jerry's cookie dough ice cream that I still dream of!).

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2011, 22:46 

Thanx 4 yr efforts Pineapplegirl! I still havent found the reference to freezing meat and histamines but the practical advice re freezing is great. I had thought I couldnt use my freezer at all.

2nite we had the lasagne from the book and it was really yummy. I thought so, as a 'normal' person. Histaminechild said 's'good' which is praise indeed from a tweenager and he had seconds.

how do I keep up his calcium intake if he can't have milk? he needs so much at his age.

the thing about your blog is the energy and the optimism. that's why I dip back in from time to time given i am permanently on zero!

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2011, 23:31 

Mmmmmm, lasagne, I'm drooling....

So you're not the freak in the family then ;) He can't have milk? Is he intolerant? I thought we're allowed milk? I eat yoghurt. X said that I could have it...too much gives me a tyramine headache though.

Good news: Calcium is actually very easy to get from greens. Bad news: teenagers DETEST healthy foods.

Check out this book: "Eat to Live" by Dr Fuhrman. He talks about how we can get all the calcium we need from veggies. In fact, if you google it, researchers recently found that vegetarians/vegans are less likely to be calcium deficient/suffer osteoporosis than meat eaters (it was on the Huffington Post I think - will look for it for you). Because animal protein actually leeches calcium from the body while it's being digested! Who would have thunk it?! It's interesting though because my whole life docs have been on my case about not eating dairy (lifelong hatred of it!), telling me I'd develop osteo, but my levels are always great. It's a bummer about spinach but broccoli, kale, swiss chard and others are also very high in calcium. As are turtle beans and other legumes (which I don't do great with). Dr F talks about making yourself either a big bowl of green soup daily, or drinking a salad in a glass. I do that a lot. Of course it's not as fun blogging about that as talking about cake, which I do, frequently :)

If you check out www.fitday.com or www.nutritiondata.com they both tell you about different nutrient quantities in foods...fitday allows you to track daily intake. It's pretty good. I used it when I first started eating healthy. It's a hard sell to a teenager though I know. The UK gives the US a run for the money in the race for "unhealthiest eaters on the planet" title...

Optimistic, thank you! Life, lemons, lemonaid and all that :) Happiness in life to me is the shortest path between two points. Fighting or cursing your situation just prolongs the misery; I prefer to get on with it! Will look up that study for you. Oh, obviously X = DB :)

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2011, 23:37 

My god, I've got smily face-itis! Sorry, never realised how many I use! Oddly, I am smiling when I type them :)