Helpline - 01322 619 898
It is currently 29 Mar 2017, 20:00

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Disclaimer:
The views and comments entered in this forum are personal and not necessarily those of Allergy UK. The information contained in this forum is not intended, and must not be taken to be, the provision or practice of medical advice or services nor a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have any questions or concerns about your health or treatment, contact your GP, doctor or other qualified health professional. Always see your GP or doctor or other qualified health professional before starting or changing any treatment. As the Forum is designed to be a support network rather than providing professional advice the posts may not be viewed daily by trained Allergy UK staff. Therefore, we would urge you to contact the Allergy UK Helpline 01322 619898 or the Allergy UK webchat if you have an urgent medical enquiry regarding your allergies, and one of our trained Allergy Advisors will be able to provide you with the appropriate advice.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2016, 23:48 

That sounds like an allergic response rather than intolerance and should be checked by a consultant as you may need to keep an antidote with you at all times.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2016, 23:58 

Thank you .. think I have it pretty much sorted as I have found almost all products that contain the oil .. to the point of having to purchase a bread maker !!!
I also carry antihistamines where ever I go. It is quite extreme to watch .. and needless to say I cannot talk when affected !!!

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2016, 09:25 

The problem is that it is prolific - and you may also have a problem with other oils - I also do not tolerate palm oil and palm fat which is good because they are ruining the Indonesian rain forests harvesting it. Also linseed oil - so watch out for those too. What worries me is that you are having an allergic reaction rather than intolerance and that can be dangerous. You might need a more rapid answer than antihistamines. Take care and good luck!

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2016, 10:25 

Thanks .. I don't "do" doctors .. so will have to sort myself out. I get mild headaches with palm oil and this will sometimes snap in to a migraine .. so avoid that as well .. just took years to find the RS oil problem as its been creeping into every thing !!! and my problems with it getting progressively more reactive. So as a vegetarian, I never eat out .. and now I have zero manufactured ready meal type foods, I should be ok .. after only one week I feel like the clock has been turned back 10 years. It took so long for me to find from my food charts as its slowly replacing sunflower oils in foods that were ok.
Good job I am happy to cook my own foods !!

BTW .. I also have a tea problem .. it was doing the same as the oil .. not dunk tea for over 25 years now .. or red wine :(

Edit to add ... is there any action groups trying to get this oil labelled as allergic ... or causing health problems .. Sorry, new to this and not sure where to look

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2016, 12:22 

I wish! It would make our lives so much easier. I try to avoid doctors too and follow an Ayurvedic diet. Hopefully someone is monitoring this forum and more sufferers will come out of the closet ;/)

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2016, 15:36 

There must be quite a few of us, but like myself took or are still taking years to find the problem .. its because the oil is slowly making its way into everything ..

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2016, 13:23 

Just a little update .. still free of RapeSeed oil and an odd sometimes very itchy rash I have had for years has gone ... completely healed .. went to look at it today to make sure its was not looking to bad and its gone. It was on the back of my legs so difficult to see without a few mirrors .. Happy days
I now want to shout at the world .. to all the people who are suffering with troublesome skin problems .. have a look at how many things you are eating that have RS oil in them .. stop eating RS oil for just one full week and see if things get better .. Its not going to hurt and it may make things a whole lot better :)

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2017, 02:40 

In the UK, there are two methods of rapeseed oil production. One is cold-pressing, the other distillation. From information I have gleaned from the internet, the distillation route requires the use of UK-approved chemicals (food ingredients) E319, E320, E321 and E900 (from someone's MSc or Doctorate thesis on Applied Chemistry). Since March 2015 when rapeseed oil first entered the UK food chain, I have been suffering tinnitus, headaches, depression, dizziness, epilepsy, asphyxiation and total collapse (and others). These are all internet-declared side-effects of E319. Unfortunately, E319 is emitted as a vapour from hot food that contains it. I suffer not only when I either eat food that contains it, but also when I inhale its emitted vapours. Despite removing E319 from my diet, I can not avoid this chemical as it is airborne.

The bases of information in this post no longer appear to be Google-search available ... the thesis is no longer found via the keyword search that initially located it (by accident), as is the web site that listed the known E319 (and E320, E321 and E900) side-effects.