Helpline - 01322 619 898
It is currently 28 Feb 2017, 02:11

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Disclaimer:
The views and comments entered in this forum are personal and not necessarily those of Allergy UK. The information contained in this forum is not intended, and must not be taken to be, the provision or practice of medical advice or services nor a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have any questions or concerns about your health or treatment, contact your GP, doctor or other qualified health professional. Always see your GP or doctor or other qualified health professional before starting or changing any treatment. As the Forum is designed to be a support network rather than providing professional advice the posts may not be viewed daily by trained Allergy UK staff. Therefore, we would urge you to contact the Allergy UK Helpline 01322 619898 or the Allergy UK webchat if you have an urgent medical enquiry regarding your allergies, and one of our trained Allergy Advisors will be able to provide you with the appropriate advice.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2016, 12:09 

I'm thinking about following a gluten free diet but not for intolerance reasons, it's just that I'm feeling a little bit energeticless (a vitamin complex is helping but I don't want to depend on it) and I think it could be because of food. I've been reading that gluten may cause these sympthoms and also that is not healthy for your body. Does anybody tried it? I would like to know of a real experience.
Thanks!

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017, 18:31 

[quote="chrisggg"]I'm thinking about following a gluten free diet but not for intolerance reasons, it's just that I'm feeling a little bit energeticless (a vitamin complex is helping but I don't want to depend on it) and I think it could be because of food. I've been reading that gluten may cause these sympthoms and also that is not healthy for your body. Does anybody tried it? I would like to know of a real experience.
Thanks![/quote

A gluten free diet works for coeliacs but it is quite difficult to stick to and you might lose out on vital food groups without advice from a dietitian.
So I believe there not much point in having it if you don't have coeliac disease.
On the other hand you may be an undiagnosed coeliac so worth while asking your GP for a test.
Tiredness might be the only symptom of coeliac disease (due to anaemia caused by poor nutrient absorption).
You have to be eating gluten in your diet for the test.
Most coeliacs are not diagnosed so you might be one of them.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2017, 17:58 

Hi
Any allergy (food or otherwise) or intolerance can make you feel tired so don't just test for gluten. Do you get any other symptoms? They can include things you don't think of as being symptoms such as eczema, runny nose, sore throat, hair loss, premature greying of the hair, teeth-related problems, diabetes, arthritis-type symptoms, giddiness, nausea, stomach cramps, bloating/wind, diarrhoea. Any one of these could indicate an allergy or intolerance.

The problem with gluten and other intolerances is that they affect your ability to absorb nutrients so vitamin tablets won't help. I find soluble vitamins much more effective, especially if I don't swallow them immediately but swill them around my mouth for a while so that some of the vitamins are absorbed there.

There's lots of information on the internet if you have time to research.

Good luck

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2017, 18:31 

Hi
Sorry, I've just realised that I didn't answer your actual question. I've been gluten free for about a year now and I feel amazing. So much better than I did before. When I do accidentally eat gluten, all the horrible old symptoms come rushing back.

I don't have a problem finding foods to eat at home but I cook everything from scratch anyway. You really do have to read all the ingredients labels as gluten is in some very odd stuff. I accidentally glutened myself by eating M&S jelly beans. Eating out is a nightmare. I always feel like a freak having to ask for a gluten and dairy free meal. The choice is pretty limited, never a desert that I can eat, rarely a starter and main meals can be iffy. I was glutened by roast pork at a Toby Carvery recently. Who would have thought that roast meat, without sauce, would contain gluten (it's in the glaze apparently).

Good luck if you do discover that you're gluten intolerant.