Helpline - 01322 619 898
It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 08:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Disclaimer:
The views and comments entered in this forum are personal and not necessarily those of Allergy UK. The information contained in this forum is not intended, and must not be taken to be, the provision or practice of medical advice or services nor a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have any questions or concerns about your health or treatment, contact your GP, doctor or other qualified health professional. Always see your GP or doctor or other qualified health professional before starting or changing any treatment. As the Forum is designed to be a support network rather than providing professional advice the posts may not be viewed daily by trained Allergy UK staff. Therefore, we would urge you to contact the Allergy UK Helpline 01322 619898 or the Allergy UK webchat if you have an urgent medical enquiry regarding your allergies, and one of our trained Allergy Advisors will be able to provide you with the appropriate advice.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2011, 22:02 

I'm still having constant problems with a bunged up nose (dust allergy according to blood tests) and back on steroid tablets. Everything is dust mite proofed, bed the lot and carpet (which is new) treated with anti dust mite stuff. However I still feel miserable and blocked up. This evening 6x 5mg prednisolone tablets have opened the sinuses up already!

Anyway, I'm thinking, is there such a thing as an anti dust mite sleeping mask? Or has anyone tried sleeping with a surgical mask on?

Thanks

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2011, 14:42 

Hello

The healthy house sell a range of masks, although not sure you can wear them to bed, you would need to check on this:

www.healthy-house.co.uk 0845 450 5950

You mentioned you have you have the bedding covers, an air purifyer in your bedroom may help you, as it filters the air & the fine meshing system will then prevent the allergen from coming back into the room.

http://www.allergyuk.org/prod_soa_air.aspx

You did not mention if you are taking a daily antihistamine along with nasal sprays, both can be on prescription from the GP. You may also find that a nasal irrigation system such as Neilmed sinus rinse or Sterimar, which are both available from Boots or Lloyds pharmacy, will help with the nasal congestion.

Please take a look at our factsheet, avoiding indoor allergens for helpful tips that may help:

http://www.allergyuk.org/fs_indoor.aspx
Hopefully this will help help you, but if not it would probably be a good idea for your GP to refer you to see the allergist again.

All the best
Paula

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2011, 15:25 

Thanks Paula.

I am prescribed flixonase and neoclarityn antihistamines from the GP and almost every 2 - 3weeks prednisolone. I am not sure if maybe something else is going on up there... ie a fungal infection because I never have a runny nose, it just swells and clogs with thick secretions once the weeks course of steroids wear off (which I am desperate to get off btw). Anti biotics dont work either.

I dont have an air purifier, but I guess this should be something I should invest in. Are there any makes you can recommend? (Id look myself but at work at the moment and cant get caught net browsing).

I found sterimar was useless. I have been using the neilmed sinus rinus for 2 months but I find that doesnt really help. Even when the steroids have taken away the swelling and the saline gets up into the upper respiratory track, the inflammed sinuses come back anyway when I am using it 2 - 3 times per day.

I had recent sinus surgery for polyps as thats what the surgeon thought the root problem was and the neilmed was good at getting rid of all the post op gunk. But! I think the polyps were a byproduct of what ever it is that is causing the swelling in the sinuses.

It's totally bizarre this experience! Only occurred 3 years ago out of the blue round about the same time I moved house! (I did live next to a whisky bond hence the fungul suspicion). I have moved house and thought my problem would go away but it hasnt. People at work have noticed I seem fed up and not as jokey/witty as I used to be. I prefer not to speak to anyone in the office as I hate sounding nasaly with a bunged up voice.

Apologies for what seems to be me repeating about my problem but I am getting desperate now. So desperate I paid £38 last night from a Pharmacy in Europe for a bottle of Nasodren which is meant to be the wonder cure for people who suffer from this allergic rhinitis/chronic sinusitis condition. Yes I know a lot of money, but what else can I do. I guess for the allergy sufferes on this forum I'll be your guniea pig for this..... If you dont hear from me again... then it blew my top off! Joking aside, if it does or does not work I'll leave feedback.

Totally gone off topic here.... mmm maybe not a good idea to use a face mask sleeping... esp with CO2 build up!

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 12:14 

Rob

I would not advise sleeping in a dust mask but I can understand how you must feel, Arco the Health and Safety shops sell some dust masks with a one way value to stop the CO2 build up that could take place while using dust masks.

How often do you ventilate and let in fresh air to your property?
Could there be a VOC or mould problem in the property?
Do you use any chemicals in your property?
Is the property suffering from a water ingress or condensation?

I hope this may help

Steve
EMT tech IOSH

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 12:20 

Actually..... I think the dust allergy isnt as bad as made out by the ENT. Had the polyps removed and been fine since. I do all the normal anti dust mite things anyway just to make sure.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2012, 12:17 

Hi Rob, i just found this thread. Are you sure you have covered everything for dust mites... pillows, quilts, sheets, mattress.
Do you dust and hoover around your bed?

Also have you been tested for milk allergy or wheat. Also what about mould? My main nasel congestion was due to milk, had problems for years and then cut out milk and now I'm allot better.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2012, 15:13 

donholmes wrote:
Hi Rob, i just found this thread. Are you sure you have covered everything for dust mites... pillows, quilts, sheets, mattress.
Do you dust and hoover around your bed?

Also have you been tested for milk allergy or wheat. Also what about mould? My main nasel congestion was due to milk, had problems for years and then cut out milk and now I'm allot better.

I had no idea people could be allergic to milk - intolerant yes, but allergic...Thanks for the advice, I'll do some testing as soon as possible, as I have nasal congestion problems as well, without obvious cause.

Darel